Friday, October 30, 2009

I come 2 the Garden

Often times people say thing because (1) they like to hear themselves talk, (2) they never think you will ever take them up on their promise, (3) they want to cover up their past and (4) they want to feel good about themselves.

Jesus while on earth encountered some heart wrenching and heartbreaking situation. One of them was the terminations grief of his destiny. To die for the sin and shortcoming of all mankind. It is recorded in Matthew's gospel chapter 26, (the supper, Gethsemane and arrest). Jesus leaves the table after taking the bread and the cup giving us the clearest picture of what he came to do. And after singing a hymn they went out into the mount of Olives. Jesus tells of his pending suffering of the cross to which Peter answered "I will never forsake you" or another translation says "I never leave you." The Gaddis translation says "I got your back!"

Arriving in the garden he leaves the nine and takes three of his closest and dearest friend (Peter, James and John) further. Sharing his most intimate and most transparent feeling of over whelming grief "my soul is exceeding sorrowful, even unto death; tarry with me and watch with me." He goes a little farther and surrendered with the heaviest emotion ever known to this world. Only to find out in verse 40 that they sleep...could you know watch with me.

What happened?

Did they not take him serious?

Was the relationship not strong enough?

Were they simply not concerned?

What would cause those who are the closest to you not be there when you need them the most. Jesus is left to deal with his emotion own his own.
I come to the garden ALONE...

No comments: