Tuesday, July 28, 2009

On The Sideline

The month of July is a strange month for me because for the most part it’s the only month where I find myself sitting on the sideline. Any one who has ever played sports understand how it feels to be on the sideline, waiting and wanting to get in the game. The 3rd Sunday in July is my pastoral anniversary and because we seldom ever have afternoon services I have elected for the last five year to have just a morning celebration. So the schedule is that I preach the first Sunday, then on the 2nd Sunday my friend Rev. Racilus Douglas brings the message “What To Do When You’re In A Rut” and then we close with none other than the Dr. J. A. Reed Jr. [my childhood pastor] “Trust In The Lord”. Normally by the fourth Sunday I’m just ready to go but this year I was lead to have one of the preacher come in to speak on youth Sunday – Rev. Franklin “Go Back To Children’s Church,” he did a fantastic job. Here’s what you need to understand about a pastor/preacher when it comes to preaching…If he hears good preaching he wants to preach and if he hears bad preaching he wants to preach. In my case I heard three of the best sermons over the last three week and I’m ready to go.

I’m excited to get back to the pulpit and start a new series of messages I’m calling “I Got The Hook-Up!” We will examine the Old Testament names of God to find peace in the mist of what appears to be impossible situations. Here’s what I believe that God is never caught of guard nor surprised and when we find ourselves with an impossible situation, He has allowed it and will get the glory out of that if we allow Him to work for us, in us and through us. When we look over our shoulder we’ve all been there and God has been faithful to see us through and we need to let the world know that “We Got The Hook-UP!” There a people around us everyday who are looking for forgiveness for their past, help for their present and hope for their future. We got it! I can’t wait to see what God is going to do through this word.

Lastly, BethelKIDZ summer camp is coming to a close. Over the next four days we will be wrapping thing us for this year – looking to start children’s church for the calendar year. This year has been especially rewarding because we did so much with so little. Our camp director Mrs Glenda Lusk did an outstanding job leading and our volunteers were superb. This past Friday we had our end of the summer assembly and the parents we’re simply blown away. It was a proud moment for the entire camp staff. I saw many of them moved by how well the camper commanded the stage and how everything came together. Everyone had their heads down working to ensure that every child excelled in whatever was being taught, that I think no one knew what the other were teaching. Every age group just shined. These students will be ready to begin this school year more confident in their academic studies. Not only did this camper excel in academic, but in the art and athletics. Our goal is to prepare the children intellectually academically for the next school year, exposes them emotionally artistically and strength them physically athletically.

My finial word, “Time spent with children is never wasted time but the best investment you can ever make!”

Good Night!

1 comment:

Pastor Kraig L. Pullam said...

Pastor Gaddis,

Congrats on years of serving in Christian ministry. Also, I am excited about the new preaching series. Keep up the good work!!! One of these days we will have to fellowship when I'm in OKC. Be blessed and take care!