Saturday, July 11, 2009

BACK STAGE PASS pt.1

I like most people have been arrested by the life and legacy of Michael Joseph Jackson. As the Jackson family grieved just like any ordinary family, your heart couldn’t help but be greatly affected by how he media was relentless in their pursue of a story. Like many of you I grew up watching the Jackson family especially the Jackson 5 enjoying their music. Remember “ABC, Blame it on the boogie, and I want you back.” Then who could forget Michael impact in and through music video. I know there were music videos before Michael but who can remember any of them. I remember the incredible anticipation of that 14minute music video; you guessed it “Thriller!” My brothers and I sat around the television for hours waiting to see what the world was talking about. I’m almost embarrassed to say that my favorite Michael Jackson song is “Beat It” http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=x3PaFt5lTU8

With all that said I want to share something that I think would help a great deal as we deal with people who find themselves living life on stage. The thing that moved me most about this entire ordeal was the fact of how people viewed Michael Jackson. Millions of people had their opinions of Michael [and you know what they say about opinions] but barked them like they really knew Michael personally. The truth of the matter Michael Jackson’s true friends who knew him never really spoke. We live in a time in which people would rather believe a lie than the truth. There have been bloggs making very harmful, hateful and horrible statements toward Michael. People saying that because of what they “heard someone say, heard the media report or read in some scandalous periodical” that Mike doesn’t deserve any of the coverage or accolades. Let me share a few things that moved me and cause this thing to turn over in my spirit.

Janet Jackson at the BET Awards said “To you, Michael is an icon, to us, Michael is family and he will forever live in all of our hearts." As she expressed how painful the passing of her brother was on the entire family

Marlon Jackson shared these words at the memorial “I hurt. I stand; I stand here trying to find words of comfort and solace, trying to understand why the Lord has taken our brother to return home from such a short visit here on Earth…We would never, never understand what he endured, not being able to walk across the street without a crowd gathering around him. Being judged, ridiculed, how much pain can one take…Maybe now, Michael, they will leave you alone.

But for me Michael’s memorial came down to 20 very powerful and insightful seconds, when Paris Michael Jackson made her way to the mic and through a cracking tearful voices said "Ever since I was born, Daddy has been the best father you could ever imagine.” "And I just wanted to say I love him - so much." She collapsed into her aunt's Janet’s arm.

King of Pop one day and Wacko Jacko the next, this for me hit home no other media outlet made any efforts to present this side of the king of pop a caring daddy, loving brother and wonderful son. A much different approach than the Tennessee Titans’ organization and ESPN Sport did for Steve McNair [BIG UPS to both of these organizations on their reporting]. They both reported the good the McNair did on and off the field. Mike was drug through the mud. It was almost like he was some monster

That’s when it all hit home. As one who lives a great deal of life on stage much to most people’s dismay there is a back stage. I think what was most unfair in all of this people only looked at Michael’s on stage life and no one ever cared about the back stage life. Even in ministry people only care about your on stage life with no thought about your back stage life. As long as when you’re on stage you’re smile, happy, speaking, sharing, hugging and doing what you do not body cares what you struggle with back stage.

Think about the loneliness, emptiness and great void Mike must have felt after giving 45 years of his life and never knew if he could trust the people who where around him. Question about when his next concert, CD, appearance or deal was the only questions ask. Nobody wanted too really know how Mike was doing, how he was holding up, what his day was like, what was on his mind, what was his greatest fear and frustration, what did he want to do, or what could someone do for him.

Mike had a back stage and I hope that during his life time he had some back stage friends [Diana, Brook, Liz and Quincy]. Nobody needs on stage groupies they will come and go but what we need is back stage buddies. People who are really concerned about YOU! They don’t care about all the on stage stuff [they appreciate the gift] but they are truly and sincerely a friend.

One last thought sometime what has raised the level of POWER ON STAGE is the depth of PAIN OF THE BACK STAGE.

1 comment:

do-re-mi said...

Wow! Quite powerful and great insight.