Monday, May 23, 2011

Learning to say "NO"

It’s become a necessity...BUT it is also one of the most difficult things I've had to do since standing up delivering my firer sermon. If you have been reading this blog for anytime now all of the challenges have forced me to grow up. I've discovered with God there are times of natural growth then there is immediate growth. Sometime God lovingly and patiently coaches you into growth & maturity. Other times he tell you to get on the boat & drops you in the middle if a storm and tells you sink or swim buddy! The last few lesson God used the latter on me!

In order to maintain my health, the health of my family and the health of the church, I've had to discipline myself to say "NO" more often…than I would like:

No I can’t counsel you, but I can refer you to someone….

No I can’t do your wedding, but I know someone who can…

No I can’t meet with you today, but we can look at something next week…

No I can’t answer that question, but I know where we can get an answer…

No I won’t be at your dinner party, but I’m certain it would have been a blast…

Now, believe me it's NOT that I wouldn’t rather say yes…

As a young preacher I was groomed to do all, sacrifice all, say yes to all at the cost of health, family, finances, and self.

It’s an “easier” answer at the time…Who does want to make people happy. It certainly pleases more people…

But….In order for me to do an adequate job at the things I must do such as leading and developing staff, preaching and vision casting I have to say no to things I might wish to do, but simply can’t…

1 comment:

do-re-mi said...

good job!