Tuesday, December 15, 2009

Sap Running


I’ve watched the sunrise many, many days over the past “several” months and for the most part it has been a welcome sight. It would bring great memories of the day before the laughter, smiles, companionships, conversations, and so much more. It would also bring great expectation of what new and wonderful things the day would offer but today as I layed in the dark watching the same window that I’ve watched for “several” months those thoughts alludes me. ALL I could hear was the Elderly African American community saying “the sap is running.” As a kid I would hear those words often during the fall time of the year. One day my Grandmother was talking and she made reference to “the sap must be running,” I ask her the question that that is on the tip of your tongue what does that mean?
I don’t know if I was really ready for the answer but here it is, it was what the older generation would use when people would die during the fall season of the year. (Sap runs during the fall of the year from the maple trees and it’s a mighty slow process as the maple flowing from the maple tree to describe the slow march of the death angle claiming the lives of people.) I must be honest it scared the you-know-what out of me then. Every time the leves would turn color and began to fall I would leave those days afraid of death but the older I got the less those words had any affect on me. Over the last few years I’ve heard those words echoing through the hall of my memories during the fall season. Since September I’ve experience death physically, relationally and emotionally. So I’ve heard myself not saying but feeling it physically, this Saturday will be the fourth funeral service that I’ve officiated this fall not counting the ones I’ve attended. Relationally, I’ve experienced some death with some associates, some so-called-friends and some people who have had significant place in my life. Emotionally, the deaths are tied to the physical and relational deaths but outside of that has been the death of my trust in people.

THE SAP IS RUNNING!!!!

1 comment:

Unknown said...

I pray that one day when I have the courage to read your blog again it will be during a period of your life when you will have passed through this valley engulfed by the very shadows of death experiencing this darkness and taunted by what appears to be evil. I pray that he who is able to keep you will have propelled you and those who have deeply hurt and disappointed you, to and through a process of renewal, restoration and rejuvenation. And in doing so he will have given you back much more than you feel has been taken away during this period of your life. I trust that he will. Until then I wish you more.....
more laughter, more strength for each day, more embraces from loved ones, more encouragement from those you lead, more joy in place of sorry, more bright sunrises, more sunsets shared with those you love, more walks in the park, more time with your grandchildren, more movies, more picnics, and a journey that will take you to a level that will make all of the pain of this day as if it never was. 831