Monday, September 21, 2009

The Most Creative Place In the Universe

I’m afforded many things as the Pastor of the Greater Bethel Church and I’m thankful for ALL of them. I realize that the membership has put their trust and confidence in me and I am very humbled by that. One of the things that the people that I’m proud and privileged to lead allow me to do is be creative. I’m serious! Even though I know that it frightens and scares (the you know what out of them) they give me the creative licensing to flow in whatever the Spirit leads. Sometime it’s very traditional, other times it’s very contemporary and then there are the time when it’s simply off the wall.

Here’s what I heard Ed Young of Fellowship Church Grapevine, TX http://www.fellowshipchurch.com/ say in a conference once, “change is a necessary catalyst for our growth, maturity and development. Although we experience changes almost daily, there is something that never changes. From eternity to eternity, God remains a constant. Simply put: God is.

But the same cannot and should not be said of the church. The methodology must change in order to meet the changing contour of the world around it. In short: Churches evolves.”

That’s why I believe that as leaders of the church, we must be willing to facilitate that evolution.

Earlier this year the enemy hit me at the very foundation of my ministry. My reaction sad to say, wasn’t as I would have had it. I withdrew and became very depressed, disappointed and hurt which in turned effected what God had deposited inside of me. After months of licking my wounds and asking God, “Why,” I realized what the enemy was after. I realized that what the enemy was after was the ministry and the creativity that God has trusted me with.

How did I get back to some level of normality? (Healing is a process…)

1. The Holy Spirit through one of Mentors taught me a passage of scripture Romans 12: 1 “Therefore, I urge you, brothers, in view of God's mercy, to offer your bodies as living sacrifices, holy and pleasing to God—this is your spiritual act of worship. Do not conform any longer to the pattern of this world, but be transformed by the renewing of your mind. Then you will be able to test and approve what God's will is—his good, pleasing and perfect will.” The help was in “to offer your body as a living sacrifice.” At that moment I had to ask myself was I actively doing that or was I fighting what God wanted to do in, through and for my life.

2. I had to stop asking “WHY!” I had several shouting fits with God about this question (WHY). I know that you’ve never done that but I couldn’t rationalize why God would lead me to do something and then walk away. I’ve never been so certain of a thing; I know that this is of God. So then why would the one who lead me then appear to have disappeared on me?
3. I had to start asking “TO WHAT END!” How did I get to the next question? God told me He owed me no explanations that He was God and I wasn’t. Second that Faith doesn't require that I understand it; it only requires that I STAND UPON IT (Hebrews 11).

4. I had to give myself back to the ministry that God has given me. Ultimately, the enemy wanted to destroy the ministry that God has entrusted me with. At first I became like “the man who had received the one talent came…. Who was afraid and went out and hid your talent in the ground.”
5. I had to reevaluate and reexamine the people I allowed in my inter-circle [those who could speak into my life]. The people you allow in you life can make or break you, determine your success or failure. I realized that when things are going well the people in your life aren’t that important because the bad people are only riding never adding. It is in the most challenging times of your life when you discover who your real friends are and those who are really in your corner. Those who are really for you are REALLY FOR YOU! Here what that looks like they never change their option nor their support because they understand that circumstances doesn’t always have too look like where you’re going.

No comments: