Sunday, January 25, 2009

Sunday Morning Blues

I should be in the bed but here goes...“So take everything the Master has set out for you, well-made weapons of the best materials. And put them to use so you will be able to stand up to everything the Devil throws your way. This is no afternoon athletic contest that we'll walk away from and forget about in a couple of hours. This is for keeps, a life-or-death fight to the finish against the Devil and all his angels. Be prepared. You're up against far more than you can handle on your own. Take all the help you can get, every weapon God has issued, so that when it's all over but the shouting you'll still be on your feet.” Ephesians 6:11-13 (Msg)

I have been fighting this one for months now. These last weeks have been a constant push for me to share something that is almost certainly more painful than I would like to admit. Leadership is one of the most difficult things I’ve ever done in my life. It has almost been like a starker. As far back as my memory can take me, I didn’t know it at that time but I was born to lead. I can remember back to elementary school I was always picked as captain of everything. I remember being chosen as captain of our inter-class sports tournament – it was my first remembrance of how difficult it was to be in leadership. It was the championship game in basketball it was a close game the entire school was in the gym and it was the fourth quarter. I was dribbling the ball down the court and realize that everybody hadn’t played I called time-out and with great objection from my classmates I took myself out of the game in order for the last player on the bench to play. We lost the game [and the pizza party for the winning team] and there were some very anger sixth graders (and we all know how cruel they can be.) I took it and I remember that later on that semester when I received my report card there was a note from my teacher Ms. Linda Lockman [never over look the impact you can make on a person I’m 44 years old and I still remember her name] acknowledge my deed by writing a note to my parents about how I cared enough to make the other students feelings priority rather than the win. Leadership has been a part of my life for as long as I can remember.

What has been pushing me is the many sacrifices a leader has to make. My thoughts this week at the National Baptist Convention Mid-winter board was simply about that. With the celebration of Dr. Martin Luther King Jr’s Birthday, the inauguration of President Barack Obama, our National Baptist Convention election and in a few weeks our State election. Let me first start with what we all know there are some leadership privileges – that’s a given but there are far more sacrifices. I remember when I started in ministry some 25 years ago, I was almost ashamed at what people would do for me as a preacher, could hardly even except a compliment on a sermon. Let’s just suffice it to say I take any kind word now. So we can agree on the leadership privileges but let me share with you that there is a side of leadership that most will never know, the painful and heart staking sacrifices that come with it.

Many leaders are very lonely – many leaders walk alone, sometime emotionally and even time physically. In leadership you have to take people not where they want to go but where they need to go and every relationship around you will at some point be strained by that. You remember the scene as Jesus rode into Jerusalem to the shout of praise and worship, only to be spit on, cursed at, and killed by the end of the week.

For the sake of time let me just drop just a few of the struggle and a short solution that I will later elaborate on this week.
Leaders hurt, cry and become depressed and disappointed but Sunday is always coming
Leaders are people too that others think they can say and do whatever they want to
Leaders live their life on that perpetual stage, always under the microscope
Leaders have very few close and intimate friends (if any) because everybody wants something
Leaders have a great struggle in balancing leadership at home and at work

Leaders children normally grow up resenting the fact they were raised by a leader
Leaders wake up ever morning with the weight of leadership on them
Leaders are frighten 99.9% of the time if they are following God
Leaders have bad days, hurt, become depressed, discouraged and tired
Leaders hardly ever, ever, ever take time for themselves because they are always leading or preparing to lead or praying about leading
Leaders do have hearts and they do get broken, bruised and burdened

I could go on and on but even writing this is painful but I want to share two very important things: (1) if you have someone who has become a leader in your life take time to encourage them. A kind word or deed could make all the difference between the success and/or the failure of that leader. (2) give them a hug and acknowledge that you care and are very thankful that God has put them in your life. (3) and I know I say two things but finally pray for your leader whether you happy with them or not – just pray.

Hope this has been helpful but I have to be honest this has been more for me than for you. Thanks for reading.

4 comments:

do-re-mi said...

Today I will pray in all sincerity God will lift you up over "this" hurdle so that you might recapture the joy of leadership inspite of the pitfalls you will constantly encounter in and throughout this lonely journey. Rest in the promise that, "he will never leave you nor forsake you". (face it, even when that is not what you want to hear-and there will be days like that)

Elderbc2 said...

Pastor Gaddis,

Let me just say that I feel the heart of the leader... particularly the pastor. I have never sat in your seat, but I do empathize with you. I love preachers/pastors and always try to be an encourager to all who carry the Holy Writ. Just know when you see me that I d care and want you to remain positive.

Anonymous said...

Hello Pastor this is Kicky I want you to know I Love You and you are doing a Excellent Job in leading the church. I pray that God will continue to give you the strength and wisdom to lead the church. GOOD JOB

Pastor Lance A. Mann said...

Bless your ministry Pastor Gaddis. Your candor with leadership is refreshing and much needed with Pastors who may be struggling with the same things. We are the better for reading this post.

Lance