Saturday, January 03, 2009

Happy New Year

The New Year is here. We’ve made it! Between last Sunday and this Sunday I’ve preached both New Year’s Eve and New Year’s Day. New Year’s Eve I was privileged to preach in the 28th Annual Prayer Bowl at the Fairview Baptist Church [my home church] Dr. J.A. Reed host Pastor. It’s funny because I’ve grew up attending the Prayer Bowl and now for the last 8 years I’ve been preaching in it [who would have ever thought it.] The Prayer Bowl is probably the biggest single event next to the Simultaneous Revival in the City of Oklahoma. For the last 12 years I’ve been preaching New Year’s Day at the Mt. Sinai Church of God in Christ. I inherited this preaching spot from my predecessor Dr. C. C. Cooper. Dr. Cooper has aged into his 70’s and Dr. Levi Lenley would allow him until his retirement. Dr. Cooper was a legend; he was a quartet singing and an outstanding soloist. He was a C.A.W. Clark type when it came to preaching. I’m always glad to see the end of the year come and I’m glad to see them come to an end. The Old Folks use to say that how you end the year is how your year will be…that’s scary. With both Christmas and New Years being on Thursdays that has made for very challenging sermon preparations, putting my back against the wall for the out of the ordinary Friday – Saturday preparation.

The holidays have been slow and I’ve really enjoyed it. Spending time with those that are important is such a luxury. With the demands of the ministry it’s very difficult to find time to do this on a regular. That’s another thing that I’ve added to my list of things to work toward. Someone has said “to live life with no regrets,” so I’m going to work to make relationship a priority.

My New Years’ message is entitled “Trusting God will make 2009 your best year ever” Proverbs 3: 5-6. (1) Trusting God’s Care 5a. (2) Trusting God’s Purpose 6a. (3) Trusting God’s Will 6b. Even though this is a promise, it is a conditional promise. If we will do our part, God will do His part.

Construction project is going fantastic. I’ve heard horror stories from many of my pastor friends about project move too slow. I’m afraid the building is going to be ready and we not be. My prayer is that our church family will get on the fast track and get in step with what God is doing. He has given us favor and we ought to respond by stretching our faith. This is our [the Greater Bethel Church] year. Everybody connected with this church is going to realize expediential growth and favor. I can’t wait to see what God is going to do in, to, and through this church.

No comments: