Friday, January 16, 2009

Last Night In Houston TX











During day three of “Giving Blood” preaching conference Dr.Len Sweet shifted the focus of the preacher from the Gutenburg era of wordsmithing to the Google era of the image smith.

Kay Arthur taught how to “find” the Word of God that was hidden in the House of God using a text from Josiah.

Dr. Paul Walker thrilled the crowd with a comprehensive but compact training session on how to preach a Bible series.

Dr. Kaiser wrapped up a full 90-minute session on expository preaching that had the audience on the edge of their seats with a profound statement: “Preach the Word like it is going out of style...because it is!”

This was a long day of study but if you know me well there are two things that when I’m out of town I try not to miss: (1) increasing my vision by visiting some of the major ministry in the city. Of course Houston has so many from Dr. Ed Young Sr., Dr. A Louis Patterson, Dr. Ralph Douglas West, Pastor Joel Osteen, and the list could go on and on. I was blessed to visit the Solid Rock Baptist Church and spent time with their visionary Dr. Ross Cullens. Dr. Cullens about two years ago purchased a Garden Ridge Building and has transformed it into a magnificent model for ministry. He highlighted a café that leads into a banquet hall, a new worship area, huge gathering areas, a health club and the future worship area that hasn’t even be started yet. What struck me the most is that this church has a history of being business and kingdom builders. Interesting enough as we where breaking bread together I was sharing with him about a conference I attended where I met a pastor name Bishop Vaughn McLaughlin Potter's House Christian Fellowship in Jacksonville Florida http://www.potters-house.org/. Whose church owns a mall, a credit union and several other major pieces of property. Long story short he not only knows him but married one of his staff members. I was simply blessed again to met a leader with a vision that becomes so BIG that it can’t be confined within the walls of the church building. Oh, by the way they have a party room that would rival any dream place to have your child’s birthday party with private room, mother’s room, father’s room equipped with flat screen television to view football on Sundays afternoon and jumpers everywhere. Not to mention Cullens can preach.

Well, bet you thought I had forgotten about (2) but I didn’t and it’s shopping. I’m not often impressed but today I was – and before this it was in DC. I simply don’t spend money for the sake of it maybe a little wiser in my old age [not too sure,] When I shop now I have to see something that I just can’t live without – this can’t be just another suite or another pare of shoes. I had made some strong decision about my wardrobe for ’09 and was doing good until Pastor Jeff Mitchell [that’s right I’m calling names] and Pastor Cullens set me up. I should have stayed in the car but Pastor Cullens had to go in and pick up two suites they had for him and encouraged me to come along to look. Now I don’t fault Pastor Cullens because he doesn’t know me that well but you would think that a friend of over 25 years would know you well enough to protect you. Let’s just say that I didn’t fall off the wagon to bad.

This evening I’m taking the time to finish up the message for our 9am experience and on the trip back I’ll be reviewing the outline for the 1045am experience. Sunday afternoon I have been asked to sharing the closing prayer at the City-Wide Dr. Martin Luther King Service. Busy weekend and an even busy next week be in prayer – was told today that sheet-rockers are working. God is an awesome God!!!

1 comment:

Pastor A. A. McGhee said...

I took the liberty of browsing your blog and I must say you are truly a visionary. Every line just oozes blessings galore. I am praying the God will continue to enlarge your territory and prosper your new building. Stay the course!