Thursday, September 25, 2008

Headed To Our Nation's Capital


(@12Noon) Tuesday, September 23rd I woke up in Newark, New Jersey, went to bed in Oklahoma City and headed to Washington, DC today – what an incredible journey the last few days have been. My travel arrangements were made as a sort of surprise and what a surprise it was (too many to mention here). One in particular was as we received our boarding passes we quickly realized that we’re booked for first-class.

Let me quickly say that there is a definite difference between coach and first-class. Just a couple obvious differences: [1] You are allowed one free checked bag in coach you pay $15; [2] You are give the option of priority boarding; [3] Before the other passengers are asked to board the flight attendant has offered to hang your coat, get you a drink, magazine, pillow and blanket, [4] Oh, yea there is one attendant for first class which is about 10 seats and one attendant for the other 35-45 seats – so you can imagine the attention to detail, [5] In coach you have to buy snacks but first class your are given an option of several free snacks, [6] and my favorite in coach they serve your drink in a plastic cup but in first class your drink is served in a glass (you have to know me to understand that craziness).

As I sat back for a good read 30,000 feet in the air the Holy Spirit began to talk with me about what God offers us. In John 10: 10 Jesus says “The thief comes only to steal and kill and destroy; I have come that they may have life, and have it to the full.” (NIV) I hope you don’t mind me sharing this conversation…First-Class is what Jesus offers and He desires us to have a first-class relationship with Him. You can fly through life on coach but what Jesus offers is first-class. Now before you get too excited about that let me say quickly say that to fly in first-class cost more. Some people just aren’t willing to pay the price to ride first-class. Jesus wants to have a first-class relationship with you…are you willing to pay the price. Before you answer the amenities are worth it the sacrifice.

(@7pm) We finally made it, it was a much easier ride in first-class but my frequent flier miles are catching up with this body of mine. Our driver didn’t make it any better I had to look twice because I thought he may have been a stock-car driver the way he was driving…like he was late for something. We arrive at the hotel (the famous Ritz-Carlton). The service is fabulous and the amenities are fantastic. Tonight we are scheduled to go to dinner in Union City.

(@9) We just finished an outstanding meal a B.Smith’s (that probably means as much to you as it did to me at first.) Matter fact as Janice and I was enjoying our meal this couple comes in and began to make their way around to all the table speaking…so I determined that they must be the owners as they made their way to our table. After a wonderful meal (by the way we had fried BQ chicken, potato salad, collard greens and cornbread. For desert Janice had cheese cake and I opted for strawberry short cake. We shared the meal so I thought I would go for the desert menu. I’m being good. I promise!) On our way out the restaurant there was several picture and then more and more as you walk through to the other side of the restaurant. Then we discovered that this very attractive lady was someone very special. So let me explain who this outstanding black woman is B. Smith is a former fashion model turned restaurateur, television host, author, entrepreneur and entertainer extraordinaire and is widely regarded as an expert when it comes to casual but elegant living thus her national syndicated television show B. Smith with style.

Here’s my B. Smith story I had decided to chronicle the trip on the blog so thought I would get a picture with my phone to attach to blog. So, I’m trying my best to take a picture of a picture and I hear someone say “You can do better than that.” You guessed it B. Smith and her husband Dan was standing behind me. Very pleasant couple Dan offered to take a picture with my phone – I had a better idea Janice just happened to have our camera in her bag. She posed for a picture and we share pleasantries and they headed into the station. I will post those pics ASAP.

Miss you guys see you soon! Pastor G

No comments: