Tuesday, June 19, 2007

Happy Father’s Day

Father’s Day is always like a family reunion in the Gaddis family. Well, most holidays are because for the most part [with the exception of Christmas] we all gather at dad’s house. Father’s Day is special because Dana, Brent, Mike, Dad and I are under the same roof, we share a bond that isn’t shared in a many families we’re tight. We’ve always been! We were taught that family is important and we should have each others back. Even as boys we could fight like dogs [as my mother would say] but by the end of the day we were brother. Now that we have families of our own and have been blessed to be pretty successful in our respective occupations, we don’t get the chance to see each others as much as we should but one thing is certain when we get together stories will flow and it always seems like all the years disappear and we’re all kids again.

Oh, yea don’t want to forget to tell you that after we said our good-byes and I made it home [sounds like a long way but it’s really only four houses down the street] my children brought gifts. Every year about a week before Father’s day I get the same question “Daddy, what do you want for father’s day?” To which I give the same answers “I want you to fall in love with God and His Church!” They think always think I’m playing around but that is my prayer for my children, grandchildren and when I’m blessed my great, great grandchildren. Now I’m not in any hurry for the great, greats but you get the point. Anyhow they share thoughtful gifts with me and I’m still praying about the one gift that I really want 365 days a year.

I’m writing this from my hotel room in St. Louis, while attending the National Baptist Congress of Christian Education. This will be a very important trip for two reason first I will try my best to get in as much preaching and teaching as I can by some of this nation’s greatest communicators. Reason two when I walk through the exhibits hall this year I will not only be looking for that fabulous dress to surprise the First Lady with but I will be shopping for our new church building. For years now I’ve walked through and window-shopped but this year I’m buying or at least seriously talking to vendor.

On the flight down I began to write down our vision for building to share with the architect so that the team would not see this project as just another building but the most important space our church has here-to ever considered constructing. A place where spiritual connections will be made, where souls will be nourished, and a place where the saving message of Jesus Christ will be spoken, it’s not just a church it’s a community. I may have just written our construction commercial blitz piece.

My head is spinning and my emotions are simply out of control. One moment I’m extremely excited about the future and the next I’m deadly scared of failure. I believe that our best days are ahead of us and I’m privileged to pastor one of the greatest churches in the world [In Jesus’ Name]! Pray that I will continue to look up to God and not look around at people. Pray that my faith will grow strong. Good Night!

No comments: