Monday, October 20, 2008

Day 1 of 40 Days of Love - I Got The Scars To Prove It

Life is a series of ups and down; ins and outs, and highs and lows – I got the scars to prove it! Yesterday, we began our 5th spiritual growth journey at the Greater Bethel Church. Have you ever knew God was about to do something so big that you could hardly wait to see when, where and how he was going to do it? Well, that exactly how I’ve been feeling. Now let me quickly say that’s not the only feeling I’ve had. Too be blunt I’ve been nothing but a ball of emotions for nearly a week. After having what seemed to be a very good solid three or four weeks of ministering God’s Word. Welcoming the opportunity to expand the boards of my personal ministry…excited and scared to death…but trusting God for whatever He wanted to do. Things quick made its way from the mountain top to the deepest darkest valley. After regaining my composer I had to get past “WHY” to get to “To What End.” GOD IS SOVEREIGN…either causing things or allowing things to happen. So when stuff happens you have to ask “to what end” or “what for.”

Here's "to what end." With the challenges of building a new church, writing the letters, sermons, recommendations, making every appointment, touching everyone who wants to be touched, keeping every one happy, keeping the budget, health, marriage, family and a myriad of other things that for the lack of space I will not try to mention – it get tough. To make matter worst when you seek to raise the level of spirituality and conscience of a people – as God leads you – its almost like stepping in a bear trap. I’m a movie watcher so you ever seen the movie “The Bodyguard” staring Kevin Costner and Whitney Houston where Kevin plays a former secret service agent who take the job of being the bodyguard of a pop singer played by [you guessed it] Whitney. The movie ends with Kevin jumping in the way of a bullet meant for Whitney. He sacrificed his body to protect her body. Welcome to the life of a pastor – less I sound like a martyr that far and in between, I would be taking too much credit by saying that everything that comes my way is because I’ve done everything right. Much of what I experience is my own doing but there times when after the dust settle you realize that this is much bigger than you and time is always a dead give away.

The long and short of it is that God is going do something fantastic and wonderful in the lives of the people of this congregation – I can just feel it. I hope you are just as earger as I am to see the relationships around each of us. God is going to transform our church over the next 40 days through our commitment to love Him with all our heart, our soul, our mind and our strength and love our neighbors as ourselves [Matthew 22: 37-39].

In Day 1 of our 40 Days of Love, we learned that “relationships are painful and wonderful” almost like sweet and sour. As we read “The Relationship Principles of Jesus” – by Tom Holladay, Jesus will deepen our understand of what our primary focus should be “love!” When asked Jesus says there is absolutely nothing more important than love. So there is nothing more important than the next 40 Days in your life and in my life.

What to know how to get the Most out of the next 40 Days?

Hear – the messages that I’ll be preaching each weekend
Read – the daily devotional from “The Relationship Principles of Jesus”
Invite – the people you love and care about to share this experience with you family, friends, neighbors, and co-works [Weekend Experiences & Small Group Experiences]
Discuss – get involved or start your own small group bible study
Remember – the weekly memory verse 1 Corinthians 14:1 “Let love be your highest goal!” (NLT)
Do – the work and apply it to your life today

I can’t wait to hear your stories of how 40 Days of Love will transform your life. So e-mail at pastorg@BethelFamilyChurch.com and simply put “MY STORY” in the subject line. It’s going to be great as God continue to “Build THE Church, while He Builds A Church!”

2 comments:

do-re-mi said...

Be encouraged, you are doing a great work. Let God direct every area of your life. Follow his lead even when it doesn't make a bit of sense. Know that everything you are experiencing it going to make you wiser, stronger and better. Take care of yourself and RELAX. Enjoy the Journey.

D.A. Thomas said...

Pastor Gaddis, great post.

My name is Dan Thomas. You may or may not remember me. For six years I served as an associate under Dr. Levi Lenley at Mt. Sinai COGIC. If you see my picture on my blog you might remember me. I've been living in Los Angeles serving as a Young Adult Pastor for the past six years.

It's refreshing and inspiring to see that you're still "on the battlefield." I'm not sure if you're aware (and I believe I sent a packet to your church), but in the fall of 2006 I sponsored a conference called D.R.E.A.M. Conference that is geared toward Young Adults and the issues they face everyday. We give them tools to make proper responses in today's society.

Last time we held the conference at Dr. Lenley's church, this time we will use one of Metro Tech's auditoriums. The conference is tentatively scheduled for July 16-18, 2009.

I'd very much like for you to be a part of that as one of our featured speakers. I will send you an official packet in the months to come.

Our theme for next year is "Experiencing the Power of God", Romans 1:16. I don't know if you have your schedule laid out that far, but I'll be eagerly awaiting your response.

I like what I read today and I'll be adding your blog as one that I follow. God bless!

P.S. I've also sent this to your email address.